In a world of growing media and new technologies, the role of communication specialists is rapidly expanding. The MA in Strategic Communication and Public Relations is a professional degree program designed to help prepare the next generation of professionals to successfully meet the increasing local and global demands for communication expertise. The program reflects the latest developments in the field, while maintaining the curricular and educational standards of top American and European graduate programs. By integrating theory with practice and focusing on a real-world approach, students are trained for a variety of positions in private, public, and non-profit settings.
Student & Graduate Profile
The program is appropriate for graduates and practitioners from all disciplines and backgrounds. Graduates may be employed in a wide range of professional fields and industries including public relations, advertising, consulting, broadcasting, lobbying, event planning, fund raising, campaign management, and corporate affairs, as well as communication careers in the special fields of tourism, entertainment, and politics. Graduates of the program are well prepared to pursue a higher academic degree in communication.
Students must successfully complete 11 graduate-level courses, representing a total of 33 US credits.
Required Communication Courses
Media and Communication Theory
Advanced Media Writing and Techniques
Applied Communication Research Methods
Quantitative Research in Communication
Required Public Relations Courses
Public Relations Strategy
Crisis Communication Management
Public Relations and the New Media
Elective Courses (3 from the list)
Communication for the Tourism Industry
Strategic Corporate Communication
Communication for the Entertainment Industry
Intercultural Communication and International PR
Effective Communication Skills
Multimedia Applications for Communication Campaigns
PR for Public and Non-profit Organizations
Capstone or Thesis option
Capstone Project in Communication
Thesis in Communication
Program Level Competencies
- Upon successful completion of this program, participants should be able to demonstrate the following program competencies:
- Apply key communication theories and concepts to public relations practice in multiple industries and contexts.
- Demonstrate strategic level analysis and critical thinking in designing communication programs to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans for a wide range of organizations and industries while applying effective problem solving processes and innovative thinking in both local and global contexts.
- Conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the communications profession.
- Apply appropriate digital technologies in communication program design and implementation to reach and engage relevant audiences.
- Produce creative and innovative public relations content suitable for a variety of audiences and in a variety of media forms.
- Communicate effectively and deliver professional presentations in oral, written, digital or combined formats.